Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Multifamily Construction ...Memory Lane

Being retired, I admit I often wish I was still involved in building apartment projects. I have dreams about being in meetings, or walking around a project underway, and working on solving some sort of problem. Guess it takes awhile to get it out of your blood. (after 36 years)

This is one project that I happened to find some old aerial pics of. I've got more around here somewhere of other projects. (Mostly in TX, but also in MS, FL, KS, TN, GA...and Tx jobs were in Houston, Austin, Round Rock, Mesquite, Bryan/College Station, Dallas, Longview, Fort Worth, North Richland Hills, Hurst, Allen, McKinney, etc)

This was about 220 units, three story, Senior Living units located in Fort Worth, TX. The company I worked for pretty much left me alone and didn't try to micro-manage  me (can't stand that).  The economy was still a tad slow in 2003, and I was able to hire some top notch subs at fair prices. I called it the "dream team" of subs and suppliers. My field staff was very capable too. AND it was a nice flat open site, easy to get a quick start on sitework and slab pours.

Construction began the week between Christmas 2002 and New Years 2003 - not a great start time of the calendar for fast production. All these pics were taken around the 15th to 20th of each month.

Jan 2003 excavation completed with utility work and plumbing underway

March 2003. slab pours nearly complete. Paving next.

April 2003. paving almost done. Framing started.

May 2003. rough framing nearly complete. Roofing started.

Aug 2003. Roofs complete, exterior paint in progress. Fine grading started.

Oct 2003. Landscape in progress. Pool completed.

Jan 2004. Substantially complete.

Finished 2 months early on the schedule and doubled the expected profit on the job. My boss was happy, and the client we built it for was happy as well.... Me? I just got a paycheck and a decent bonus at the end. Then went on to other projects.

It would be fun to do another project. But I've moved too far from the DFW area to get involved in this again.

Adios...!






3 comments:

  1. You should be very proud of your past. Wonderful to build something worthwhile that people can use and enjoy for a long time. I fixed airplanes that probably don't fly any more! Your buildings will be there a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always called it "building future slums".
    Thanks for stopping by, Rand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't responsible for what other people do! Put enough people together in a large group and you can screw up anything!

      Delete