Sunday, September 16, 2018

Hydroponics update

I had to take out a few non-performers. Buttercrunch did not work, probably due to me using tomato nutrient mix, when I should've used "lettuce mix". (  I'll get it right next time).
Certain tomato breeds started out good, but later all the leaves kinda curled up, but were still green. No idea why. They are clipped off at the base now. Gone.

The one tomato "breed" that exploded was the Red Robin. It's a giant, finally showing a few blooms. This plant is shading over the remaining plants in this tub.

Bok Choy (various spellings of this plant)... has been doing great (even on the tomato mix).  We've harvested leaves twice for meals, but these plants are still thriving.

Cukes are blooming like crazy, but I nearly let the nutrient level get too low. Refilled all three tubs today with about 8 gallons of nutrients mix.

I really need to get a few new seedlings started.



Okay, that's all folks.


7 comments:

  1. Your plants look great. I have to admit I had to Google "cukes" as I had never heard of this vegetable only to learn it is a cucumber...jajaja!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if we will be doing a garden you did ask about my channel...I did list a link to all my social media account...http://peppylady.blogspot.com/2018/10/well-for-first-around.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an impressive set up you have there. We've tried gardening up here on the mountain, but the soil is just red clay and full of flint. I've been ok with corn and tomatoes, if raising enough for the wild hogs to come in during the night and eat is one of the parameters of "ok."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm trying to convince myself to get back into another try at this. All the PH testing, nutrient mixing, daily checking in gets old, but once you see the amazingly fast growth rates about three weeks after sprouting, it gets much more interesting!

      Delete
  4. Ok, I do keep checking here for updates. Glad you are starting to get this going again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we've glommed onto a strict PBD lifestyle (plant based diet)...since September, I'm hoping this will be a decent food source. Unless another dismal failure is in my future.
      Thanks for hanging in there. Another update soon. I promise!

      Delete